Mac softball splits pair of games
- Mac softball players honored
- Swiger named all-state
- Barlow breaks Bears' backs
- Grizzlies take down Sprague to advance
- Baseball, softball brackets released
- Mac claws back to .500
- Mac softball hosts 6A state play-in contest
- Tide washes away hopes of upset
- Mac baseball takes series from Spartans
- Mac baseball takes series from Glencoe
Apr 11, 2014
The McMinnville softball team came from behind to defeat Sunset on Monday but fell to Sprague on Wednesday in a pair of Class 6A nonleague softball games at the McMinnville softball field.
In the first game, Makayla Khatewoda scored on a Sam Hensley RBI single to give the Grizzlies (6-4) a walk-off victory over the Apollos. Khatewode went 2-for-3 during the contest and Hensley went 2-for-4 with a triple.
Freshmen Sydni Dix and Sydney Reeser added two hits apiece for the Grizzlies.
Starting pitcher Kaleigh Scanlon went the distance, striking out six and walking seven, to earn the victory.
On Wednesday, a three-run second inning proved to be the Grizzlies’ undoing, as future conference foe Sprague racked up 12 hits against McMinnville pitchers Scanlon and Reeser.
Jacinda Swiger went 2-for-4 with a triple for the Grizzlies, while Reeser and Hensley each went 3-for-4 with a double.
McMinnville plays at Aloha in a Class 6A nonleague game before hosting Tigard on Monday, its first Class 6A Pacific Conference game of the season. The Grizzlies and Tigers square off at 5 p.m. at the McMinnville softball field.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• DA rules fatal police fire justified (10337)
• Late effort falls short for Linfield (1973)
• Correction: Last week's editorial (1682)
• Season of Giving 2014 (1369)