Wildcats learn NCAA destination
- Wildcats named scholar-athletes
- Linfield names Athletes of the Year
- Garcia, Paavola named All-Americans
- Two-and-out at NCAAs for Linfield softball
- Linfield baseball, softball players earn NWC honors
- Linfield softball wins NCAA tournament
- Wildcats wrap up NWC early
- Ace of diamonds
- 'Cats clinch conference crown Sunday
- Wildcats win 20th, 21st games during Texas tour
May 6, 2014
By Robert Husseman
Of the News-Register
Linfield softball is on its way to California.
The Wildcats earned a spot in the Redlands, Calif., regional of the NCAA Division III softball championships in the tournament bracket announced Monday.
Linfield (34-7), the Northwest Conference champions for an 11th consecutive season, begin NCAA tournament play against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (28-13), the champion of the Southern California Athletics Conference tournament, at 10 a.m. Friday. The Wildcats will face regional host Redlands at 3 p.m. Friday.
Live video and statistics will be accessible through the Linfield Athletics home page, www.linfield.edu/sports/html.
VandeBergh, Yamamoto receive academic honors
Linfield senior pitcher Shelby VandeBergh and junior designated player Lisa Yamamoto were named to the 2014 Capital One Academic All-District 8 Softball Team on Sunday.
VandeBergh, an all-Northwest Conference second-team selection in 2014, was recognized for her 3.87 grade-point average in finance and mass communication. The Beaverton native posted a 1.56 earned-run average this season, striking out 66 and walking 18 in 90 innings pitched.
Yamamoto, from Carson City, Nev., holds a 3.73 GPA in biology. Yamamoto has batted .330 with nine doubles, two triples, three home runs and 24 RBI in 36 games for the Wildcats this season.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• Over 100 attend vigil for McGraw (3891)
• Gun rights advocates pack meeting (3773)
• Wheatland Ferry resumes operations (2603)
• County commissioners discuss goals (2085)