Shooter bought 6 boxes of ammo before attack
May 1, 2013
By NIGEL DUARA
Of the Associated Press
PORTLAND — The man who killed two people and wounded another at a suburban Oregon mall bought more than 100 rounds of ammunition in the days before the December attack as well as four high-capacity ammo magazines for the semi-automatic AR-15 rifle he used, according to a sheriff's report released Wednesday.
Jacob Roberts, 22, fired into crowds of people at the Clackamas Town Center outside of Portland before killing himself on Dec. 11.
Also detailed in the nearly 1,000-page report are the first moments after sheriff's deputies from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office responded to the mall.
A bystander, Nicholas A. Meli, armed with a handgun, waved deputies over and told them that a man was firing into crowds when either his magazine ran out of rounds or his rifle jammed.
Meli told police after the shooting that he had a clear shot at Roberts, but was afraid he would miss and shoot someone else.
“I didn't want to draw attention to myself because if I was to miss ... I didn't want stray (bullets) to go into where they were,” Meli told police in an interview later.
A toxicology report showed Roberts had marijuana and residual levels of cocaine in his system when he died.
Cindy Yuille and Steven Forsythe were killed, and 15-year-old Kristina Shevchenko was injured. Roberts also fired 13 rounds that did not hit anyone.
Roberts’ roommates discovered empty boxes of ammunition in his room. They looked online and found that the ammunition matching the boxes could be used for an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. At about 7 p.m. on the night of the shooting, one of the roommates called the sheriff's office tip line and said they believed Roberts was the shooter.
Roberts got the gun from a friend, Sean Cates, according to previously released court documents.
Cates woke up a half-hour after the shootings, went to work at 5 p.m. and learned of the attacks at about 7 p.m. He ran to a pay phone and called 911 to report the rifle stolen.
The attack came three days before Adam Lanza, 20, killed 20 children, six staff members and himself at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• Gun rights advocates pack meeting (2804)
• Wheatland Ferry resumes operations (1975)
• County commissioners discuss goals (1037)