Salem council OKs free downtown parking
Oct 15, 2013
By The Associated Press
SALEM — The Salem City Council voted Monday to ban parking meters downtown and eliminate time limits.
The council approved an initiative brought by the group Stop Parking Meters in Downtown Salem, which gathered 6,000 signatures from city residents and 3,000 from non-residents.
The Statesman Journal reports employees of downtown businesses still are prohibited from parking on the street, but that will mostly be left up to businesses to enforce.
Information from: Statesman Journal, http://www.statesmanjournal.com
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• Air quality deemed unhealthy (3870)
• What's that smell? (2562)
• Linfield survives Panthers' scare (2332)
• Salem considers sidewalk smoking ban (1471)
• Olympians run away from Grizzlies (1451)
• Bypass work full-bore (1448)