Portland chief fires officer who shot man in 2011
Oct 17, 2013
By STEVEN DUBOIS
Of the Associated Press
PORTLAND — Portland Police Chief Mike Reese has fired an officer who critically wounded a man two years ago with live rounds from a shotgun he mistakenly thought was loaded with less-lethal beanbag rounds.
Officer Dane Reister, who is facing assault charges, was notified of his dismissal Tuesday. The Police Bureau cited unsatisfactory job performance and the violation of a directive regarding less-lethal weapons and munitions.
“This has been a long and thorough investigation, which had complexities due to the pending criminal charges,” Reese said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. “The events of June 30th (2011) devastated the lives of those involved, but we hope that this action will bring some sense of closure.”
Daryl Turner, the president of the police union, declined to comment, citing the active criminal case. Reister's lawyer, Janet Hoffman, told The Oregonian newspaper that she's confident the union will pursue all grievance procedures.
Reister has pleaded not guilty to the assault charges. He shot William Monroe during an incident that began in a southwest Portland park. Officers had been called because Monroe, a 20-year-old who had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, was acting oddly by tossing discarded flowers toward children.
Monroe was shot multiple times and nearly bled to death. Earlier this year, the Portland City Council agreed to pay more than $2 million to settle a lawsuit filed on the man's behalf. It was the largest individual settlement in city history.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• Harrop headed back to Boston (3322)
• Policing the streets with a smile (3071)
• Mac on a roll (2)
• Within their grasp (2)
• Purple Haze (1)