OACA honors Willamina star Anderson
- Willamina doubles up Sheridan
- Dayton girls basketball downs Bulldogs with D
- Willamina girls post second win of season
- Bulldogs’ rally comes up short
- Bulldogs come back to bite Spartans
- Mac volleyball rolls over North Salem
- The drive through five
- Warriors snap Willamina’s WVL win streak Thursday
- Grizzlies shine at Southridge tourney
- Big marks, big wins at WVL districts
Jun 3, 2014
Willamina senior Whitney Anderson received a $1,000 Student/Athlete Scholarship from the Oregon Athletic Coaches Association at the OACA’s 2014 awards banquet on May 24.
Anderson received 12 varsity letters during her athletic career with the Bulldogs, participating in volleyball, basketball and track and field. As an outside hitter for Willamina volleyball, Anderson aided the Bulldogs in a 56-0 Class 3A West Valley League record over four seasons, all of which resulted in state playoff appearances.
In basketball, where she was coached by her father, Tom – a member of the OACA – Anderson was the leading scorer of a Bulldogs squad that finished third in Class 3A in 2013-14. She finished her career with 344 assists, a Willamina school record, and set a single-season record with 130 steals in 2013-14.
Anderson participated in the throwing events for the Bulldogs’ track and field team. She finished third in the girls’ javelin throw (107 feet, 5 inches) and fourth in the girls’ discus throw (94-8) at the Class 3A West Valley League District Championships on May 16 in Dayton.
Anderson will be attending Willamette University in Salem in the fall. She has been invited to walk onto the Bearcats’ women’s basketball team.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• Over 100 attend vigil for McGraw (3879)
• Gun rights advocates pack meeting (3757)
• Wheatland Ferry resumes operations (2599)
• County commissioners discuss goals (2069)