Fire department issues cooking safety tips
Nov 20, 2012
By Nicole Montesano
Of the News-Register
If you're planning to deep-fry your Thanksgiving turkey, the McMinnville Fire Department has some tips to pass along.
Since 2007, more than 3,600 fires and seven deaths have been attributed to attempts to fry turkeys in deep fat, according to the state Fire Marshal's Office. To avoid issues, the department urges:
* Always cook outdoors on a non-combustible surface, never on a wooden deck or porch.
* Make sure the turkey is completely thawed to prevent splatter.
* Turn off the burner while placing the turkey into the oil, in case the oil spills over.
* Make sure the cooker isn't susceptible to tipping over, and keep children and pets away.
* Closely follow the instructions provided with the cooker.
For information, call the fire department at 503-435-5800.
• Doing something for his alma mater (1707)
• Welcome aboard (1681)
• Recent rash of thefts in Mac (1636)