Dayton finishes third at state
- Willamina girls basketball finally breaks through first round
- Western Mennonite boys and girls both make state
- Extra effort
- Bulldogs’ rally comes up short
- Class 3A, Class 2A girls basketball players honored
- Western Mennonite basketball players honored
- Bulldogs power past St. Mary's, into state semifinals
- WVL basketball playoff matchups announced
- Pioneers take third place
- Pirates, Bulldogs earn home playoff games
Mar 2, 2013
The Dayton Pirates boys basketball team defeated Valley Catholic 51-42 Saturday in the 3A state playoffs in Coos Bay to finish third. Dayton, which won the 3A title last season, lost in the semifinals to Horizon Christian.
In 3A girls basketball, the Willamina Bulldogs lost in the semifinals Friday to St. Mary's. The Bulldogs lost 28-25 Saturday in the third-fifth place game to Rainier.
At the 2A tournament in Pendleton, the Western Mennonite boys and girls teams wrapped up competition Saturday. The girls team defeated Heppner 56-46 to take third place. The boys team lost 57-50 to Pilot Rock in the third-fifth place game.
The Perrydale girls basketball team, which beat Mckenzie to reach the fourth place game, lost to Triangle Lake 51-45 to finish sixth.
Please read the March 5 print edition of the News-Register for full coverage of the state tournaments. For the full brackets, go to the OSAA's Scorecenter.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• DA rules fatal police fire justified (10415)
• Late effort falls short for Linfield (2034)
• Correction: Last week's editorial (1748)