Avalanche descends on Pioneers
- Celtics brush back Bears
- At an arm's length
- Beavers dammed in Grizzlies’ den
- Bears come out of hibernation
- Holiday cheer
- Grizzlies play Long game, defeat Century
- McMinnville boys basketball drops nonleague games
- Firing up The Furnace
- Area basketball players in OACA All-Star Game
- Boumann to join Clackamas C.C.
Mar 5, 2014
By Robert Husseman
Of the News-Register
In the McMinnville boys basketball team's quest for Portland, it must first make a stop in Aloha.
The Grizzlies advanced to the second round of the Class 6A state playoffs after dispatching Oregon City, 59-51, on Wednesday night in The Furnace. Mac will play Sunset -- winners of a 6A first-round game over McNary -- on Saturday at 5 p.m. for a spot in the quarterfinals and a trip to the Moda Center in Portland.
McMinnville senior Gage Gubrud scored a game-high 22 points, and Vince Boumann added 19 points and nine rebounds. Briggs Young led the Pioneers (13-12 overall) with 21 points, and Austin DeWitz scored 15; all of Oregon City's points were scored by four players.
The Grizzlies (19-5 overall) entered the third quarter trailing 39-37 but opened the third quarter on a 13-2 run to keep the Pioneers at bay. McMinnville made 9-of-12 free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• Over 100 attend vigil for McGraw (3907)
• Gun rights advocates pack meeting (3787)
• Wheatland Ferry resumes operations (2610)
• County commissioners discuss goals (2101)